Thursday, January 2, 2014

happy new year!

Happy New Year!  I am so looking forward to 2014 and happy to be leaving 2013 behind.  I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday Season!
In this time of moving forward and making resolutions and new promises, I am forced to think of where I was this time last year.  I was home on maternity leave with my 6 month old baby boy, Harrison.  I know now that I did not fully appreciate the time I had with my boy.  He was/is a difficult baby... He never wanted to be put down and he cried at the drop of a hat... oh, and the screaming... I admit that I thought being a stay at home mother was going to be easy.  I thought I would have tons of time to get so much done and I would be a Susie Homemaker and be a perfect wife/mother... But I found my time at home to be frustrating and challenging.  And now, as I think back on that time now that I am back to work full-time, I regret not cherishing those moments.  My mother told me one particularly difficult day last year that my priority had to be Harrison.  She said to forget the dishes, the laundry and the cleaning... just be with my son and take care of him.  Everything else could wait.  What good advice; I wish I had taken it more seriously.  
We suffered a devastating loss this year in my family.  My mother passed away in July after being very sick for decades.  There are days when I feel I cannot breathe because she is gone, and then there are other days when I think back on all she taught me and I try to live my life for her.  
So for this New Year, I am going to work on enjoying the small, everyday things in my life.  I am going to take time for myself and my family.  I am going to let the laundry pile up and not vacuum for days!  (I cannot leave dishes in the sink... I have a HUGE issue with that).  I am going to do all the things I love and knit a lot!  I always knit things for my mother... she was my biggest fan.  Whenever I knit, I think of her and I am happy.  Heres to a better year in 2014!

Happy Knitting and Happy New Year!
Justine

No comments:

Post a Comment